Tuesday, January 25, 2011

State of the Union Transcript

Here is the transcript of President Obama's 2011 State of the Union Address.  Did the President adequately address issues of jobs, the economy or reduction in federal spending?  You be the judge.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/25/133224933/transcript-obamas-state-of-union-address?ps=cprs

2 comments:

  1. "We'll invest in biomedical research, information technology, and especially clean energy technology — (applause) — an investment that will strengthen our security, protect our planet, and create countless new jobs for our people."
    I took Economic history last semester and I couldn't help but notice that the greatest jumps In economic grow have come because of technologically advancements. If new technologies come out that make are economy more productive that will certainly help the economy.
    My only worry is there is no guaranty that the money spent on research will produce any thing useful. It also seems like more of a long term solution that might not help for many years down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pres. Obama is not an economist. He is more educated on the Constitution than most presidents we've had though. Still, I never expected any one person to even attempt to single-handedly solve the problems or address in one speech what was created in most part by a conglomerate of banks, fed.reserve, wall st., and private citizens like you and me. I think he tried to address some of the issues our country faces economically: being competitive globally with China and India, working harder at education.. and I liked the part about families sacrificing to live within their means expect their government to do the same. I don't throw in with critics of the President who say he never gets specific- I could agree with the part where he challenged Congress to stop giving tax breaks to the oil companies who are doing fine.
    He mentioned jobs a lot.. but I liked how he highlighted a couple of small businesses that have adapted well. That was a good direction to take in leading the nation.

    ReplyDelete