Friday, March 4, 2011

Utah Immigration Reform

A group of Utah economists wrote a letter to the state legislature this week outlining their reasons for taking a careful, balanced approach to immigration reform.  Do you agree or disagree with their point of view?  The entire letter including statistical sources cited is at the link below.

http://media.bonnint.net/slc/2490/249018/24901859.pdf

2 comments:

  1. I did a report on the economics of Illegal immigration last semester in my writing class. My finding were that illegal immigrants overall don't have a huge impact on the economy. There are some areas of the country that are benefited from illegal immigration but there are others areas that are hurt. The Congressional Budget Office has a interesting report on Illegal immigration entitled - The cost of unauthorized works on the budgets of state and local governments. I’d prefer if they cam here legally but I think that its not a huge deal either way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the letter written by economists to legislators. There are ways to reform immigration laws. If we look at the past immigration roller coaster of laws in US history, we should know by now what not to do. I am for a path to citizenry that is realistic, a tighter grip on any criminal activity of illegal immigrants, and having an America that continues to be a dream come true kind of place for people who want to work towards it. I hope Utah is a model state of immigrant friendly and sensible immigration legislation.

    ReplyDelete